The center is involved in fundamental research on influenza and influenza virus, establishment of laboratory diagnosis methods for influenza virus infection, studies on disease development mechanism, and research on prevention and treatment methods.
The center is also engaged in the production and supply of standard and reference products required for quality control of influenza vaccines, and the national assays and examinations of influenza vaccines. The center has been designated as an influenza-collaborating center, an H5 reference laboratory, and an essential regulatory laboratory by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- LABORATORY OF INFLUENZA VIRUS SURVEILLANCE
- Surveillance on the epidemic and drug-resistant influenza virus strains. Analysis and characterization of influenza virus strains isolated in Japan and overseas. Research related to antigenic or gene diversity.
- LABORATORY OF MOLECULAR DIAGNOSIS AND INTERNATIONAL TRAINING
- Research and development of diagnostic methods for influenza. Development and pilot production of reagents required. Biological, molecular, genetic and biochemical characterizations of the influenza virus. Reference service related to influenza virus, lectures on influenza-diagnostic technology, international collaboration, and technical support.
- LABORATORY OF QUALITY CONTROL OF INFLUENZA VACCINES
- Assays and pilot production of influenza-related biological products such as vaccines, production of standard products required for quality control and assays of these products, and scientific research and study required for these services (including reference service and lectures related to these services).
- LABORATORY OF PANDEMIC VACCINE DEVELOPMENT
- Development of candidate vaccine strains for seasonal and potentially new influenza virus strains, and pilot production and characterization of the required vaccine strains.
- LABORATORY OF CELL-BASED VACCINE DEVELOPMENT
- Development of cultured cell-based influenza vaccines and its application for practical use. Research on the safety, efficacy and quality controls of the vaccines (including its reference service).
- LABORATORY OF MUCOSAL VACCINE DEVELOPMENT
- Development of nasal based influenza vaccines and its application for the practical uses. Research on the safety, efficacy and quality controls of the vaccines.